Laurent Karila – the go-to lawyer for construction insurance
Laurent Karila and his father Jean-Pierre Karila are acknowledged as experts in construction law and construction insurance law providing advice that leads the affairs of transnational engineering companies and insurers. Laurent Karila is widely experienced in the areas of construction law, insurance law, real estate law and civil liability law. Spearheading his law firm into the 21st century, he has not only made Karila Société d’Avocats a top tier construction law firm in France but has established himself as one of the leading practitioners and authors in the field of construction and insurance law in France. Laurent Karila is a regular contributor to Le Moniteur, and has released numerous publications and books on the practice of construction and insurance law.
The Legal 500 guide writes that “Karila is the ‘king of insurance construction’ through Jean-Pierre Karila and Laurent Karila,” while the Chambers and Partners France edition states that Karila’s “strengths are its savoir-faire, recognized expertise, involvement and professionalism.” He also has considerable experience in insurance cover matters where his clients trust his excellent advisory work and his fierce negotiations. With some of the major real estate owners in France as his clients, Laurent has further established himself as a specialist in contentious work regarding urban zoning and planning. His numerous clients range from owners and contractors to engineers and insurers.
The oftentimes elaborate and complex projects that he has accompanied range from large construction projects to complex insurance claims where his skills in contract drafting and negotiation as well as dispute resolution and mediation make him an almost unparalleled lawyer in France.
+33 (0)1 53 43 30 50
- 2012 – Arbitration training at the Mediation and Arbitration Centre (CMAP) and at the ICC training (Pida and Advanced Pida) and through the ICC French Committee
- 2009 – Mediation training at the Mediation and Arbitration Centre (CMAP)
- 1993 – Bar exam (Certificat d’Aptitude à la Profession d’Avocat)
- 1993 – Georgetown University Law Center – LL.M.
- 1992 – Paris School of Business Administration (ESCP) – Postgraduate degree in International Marketing
- 1990 – Sorbonne University – DEA Postgraduate diploma in Corporate and Economic Law
- 1989 – Sorbonne University – Graduate degree in Business Law
Experience & projects
- Dispute avoidance and advisory work to major corporations on construction projects
- National insurance coverage matters
- Insurance policies review in the sale of real estate goods
- Advisory work on insurance policies
- Representation of major contractors and owners in various litigations/lawsuits
- Urban zoning with owners and insurers in France
- Assisting with French contractors’ liabilities and insurance
- Drafting of complex construction contracts for contractors and owners
Publications & conferences
- LEXIS NEXIS – Droit de la construction : responsabilités et assurances
- Construction and Projects: France – A Q&A guide to construction and projects law in France.
- Le Moniteur – Panorama de droit de la construction – Cour de cassation – Second semestre 2012
- The critical role of judicial experts in construction litigation and arbitration in France
- Contractors’, engineers’ and architects’ duty to advise and decennial liability in civil law countries: highlights of some prevailing principles
Qualifications & memberships
- Member of the Global Construction & Infrastructure Legal (GcilA)
- Member of the International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member of the ICC French Arbitration Committee
- Member of CEFAREA (French Center for arbitration of reinsurance and insurance)
- Member of the UIA (Union Internationale des Avocats)
- Associate member of the Amrae (Association pour le management des risques et des assurances de l’entreprise)
- Active member of the Construction Commission
- Member of the Insurance Commission of the Property Developers’ Federation
- Secretary of the Conférence du Stage oratory competition (class of 1996)
- Award Maxime Hussenot, Léon Maurice Nordmann et Léonce Richard (1996)